T minus 2 days til kick off!
In my recent post reflecting on Hits & Misses in terms of goals over the last couple of months I wrote about the reduced amount of training I have been doing for 6+ months now (compared to say May to August last year!). I also wrote about the really surprising and pleasing progress I have made with rehab my back/hips injury and constantly improving my fitness despite training at reduced level. In light of these things, I have now re-set my goals (for weight, fitness & other things in life!) and made lots of plans, including to take my training to the next level!
I have to confess, in my brain I am a little at odds with the timing of this big decision and consequent commitment…. on one hand it’s heading into Week 11 of 12WBT (my 6th round & I am well into the groove to say the least!). Being end of round, all the chatter amongst the members is about ‘end of round’ and wrapping up…
On the other hand, my brain says “But this is for life, not just 12 weeks, this is about consistent improvement and healthy lifestyle – you meet goals, perhaps you miss some goals, inevitably over time your needs, your schedule and your situation changes… you work with your body and your other commitments and re-set goals as needed then make plans to reach them & get busy!“.
The latter is what the sensible in me says – forget whether my desire & drive to commit to 12 weeks of new training right NOW fits nicely with the 12WBT round I signed up to. 12WBT is an awesome resource and tool, I love it. But I don’t have to be restricted by its stop / start dates… and I somehow doubt that is *ever* what Mish & crew intend to have happen! I do know some get trapped by that, to the point of falling off the wagon spectacularly when a round ends and having gains during what they think of as the ‘off season’.
There is no ‘off season’ for healthy living.
I do not want to fall into that trap… this is not on again, off again. This is for life – I want to consistently & sustainably work on being healthier and challenging myself with fitness goals…. and to make that happen amidst my hectic life with all it’s shifting schedules and changing commitments. And yes, when the next round of 12WBT kicks off I will sign up (and it will be a great prompt to re-assess goals yet again!) as the resources, videos, recipes and community are something I value: a really key tool in my personal ‘health & fitness toolbox‘ that I have been creating.
Another important ‘tool’ for me is working with a personal trainer to help me push safely to new fitness goals. I still have much to learn and need to be more cautious than ever after injuring myself. I need to focus on technique and I know I need expert 1 on 1 help for that. In the first half of last year it really helped me and it’s time to bring that resource back into the equation.
We have mapped out new 12 week (and beyond!!!) training goals and plan. Not because I feel I have ‘failed’ this round – quite the opposite, it’s gone better than I expected and I am itching to set new goals, I need a PT’s expertise to help me reach these and I do not want to wait for the kick off of Round 2 12WBT in June this year – that is tooooo far away to hold off! Holding off would just be a cop out!
I am pumped! I am keen! I am ready to learn more! I am ready for new challenges!
That’s where I am at – it’s time to push harder to the next level. This weekend feels like that last weekend of pre-season and Monday seems like “kick off”. I guess it is! Monday is kick off for me in a number of ways… firstly in terms of a new 12 week (and beyond!) training regime:
- I will be increasing my training up from 2 -3 days a week to 5 – 6 days per week (for first time since September last year when I injured my back and hips).
- I will be having 1 on 1 PT sessions with Mase (also for the first time since September last year).
- I will continue the group strength and conditioning sessions I’ve been doing on Tuesdays & Thursdays in the Zenergy HIT Program. I love that the HIT sessions run for 4 weeks with fitness testing in sessions 1 and 8. I have seen huge improvement over the last 2 months *just* from religiously doing those 2 sessions a week, even if I did nothing else.
- I may also enrol in their Kettlebell sessions and maybe their Demolition Kickboxing classes… to be decided!! Getting my diary out today and locking in some more detailed plans!
- I will be setting some fun challenges for myself to see just how much more fun life can be when you are fit, healthy and confident to jump in boots and all. No more sitting on the sidelines for me, never again in this life time. Or the next!
So a big commitment to much more training for the next 12 weeks, at least, including full on 1 on 1 sessions for first time in over 6 months plus trying out some new types of training. Kicking off Monday!
There’s some more exciting news to come on this front…. stay tuned!! I cannot wait to share!