I am back from Thailand (more to come on that!) and feeling like I had the reboot that I desperately needed!! Getting back into regular training – and more consistent training than I was able to do before I went on holidays – was one of the things on the top of my list to put in place when I got home.
Monday was back to work with exam papers waiting patiently on my desk and a rest day. However, Tuesday it was back into training… I wasn’t able to get a 1 on 1 PT session scheduled until later in the week but thankfully there was a group HIT (High Intensity Training) Session on at Zenergy at 5.30pm. It would have been so easy not to go (just like it would have been easy not to rock up to work or to PhD Land too!) but it had to be done. Once I got there I realised how much I really ENJOY (Yes! You heard that right!) the group training sessions at Zenergy.
There were just 8 of us on Tuesday afternoon with Mase. For most of the session we worked in pairs using a mixture of kettle bell, dumbbell and body weight exercises. I went in thinking “I will aim to work at a 5 out of 10 minimum – this is about showing up today.” WELL… I soon found myself in a great mindset, in the groove and working at a 9 out of 10!!
Yesterday I had a goal setting chat session with Mase in the morning and then jumped in on the midday group HIT session with Nathan. First time I have trained at lunchtime in a group session, again, I really enjoyed it! It was a different workout from Tuesday – working on our own through some rounds of a circuit of about 8 different exercises including body weight stuff like squats and sit ups through to renegade rows and kettlebell work. 45 seconds on of intense work with 15 seconds rest before moving on to the next exercise. The finisher for the session was some squat holds and planks. The day before I could only just get to 30 seconds for my plank, at best, but made it to just over 1min 30sec for both squat hold and plank in this session which was hard work. The encouragement from my workout buddies really pushed me hard!! (Thank you!).
A different group of workout buddies at each session – but all awesome. They work hard, are focussed and doing their best… which makes me want to step up and do my best as well. No comparisons, no competition. Plenty of encouragement and acknowledgement of successes. Such a great atmosphere!
It got me thinking about why I love these sessions so much when in the past I would prefer to be on my own (due to uncertainy, embarrassment, self consciousness, lack of confidence and worrying that I could not keep up). I remember being so hesitant – no, actually *anxious* about the first Zenergy client Soooper Saturday I attended last year (before group sessions were a regular option they were a once in a while treat!).
I really love the group sessions because:
1. I can work at my pace yet have company for a workout.
2. I can enjoy encouraging others & sharing their wins (& struggles)… and it is a two-way street! The camaradarie is awesome!!
3. I can take what I am learning in my 1 on 1 PT sessions with Mase and apply it during group sessions while being exposed to all the other Zenergy trainers who each have their own style. I find each session I pick up a new cue or the penny drops on something because I am hearing or seeing it demonstrated in a different way.
4. There are heaps of sessions on each week so if I miss a training session in the morning for example, I know there is definitely a lunch time or evening session I can jump in on. No excuses!!
5. For me, it’s a great way to END my day … not such a fan of morning group sessions as I prefer to train alone or have 1 on 1 PT in the morning before I head into PhD Land. I find that a morning group session isn’t quite right for me at the moment but to end the day and forget about work etc – it is perfect! Maybe ditto for lunchtime sessions… will be trying out a few more of those (the Demolition Martial Arts sounds kickass!!).
How about you? What type of group sessions do you go to / have you experienced? What do you enjoy about them? Or are you not a group session kinda person??
PS If you are in Brisbane *and* you are QUICK you can jump in on the same awesome deal a bunch of us 12WBTers / regular Zenergisers have taken up: unlimited sessions per week for $52. Check out all the details here – 2 days left to nab a place & just 6 spots left!! Strictly limited numbers as class sizes are going to be limited to keep the trainer to client ratio spot on! I am so stoked about this – we were paying $25 to $30 per session before these memberships were rolled out so this is fab value in my eyes!!